Q: Why should I enter my work in Silver Quill?
A: You can:
- Benchmark your work against best practices in organizational communication
- Obtain a valuable critique of your work from experienced professionals in the field
- Use a disciplined method for achieving excellence in communications
- Enhance your stature within your organization
- Use entries for the required work samples when you apply for professional accreditation
- Gain feedback to enter the IABC Gold Quill competition
And if you win ... it’s a great conversation-starter to place on your resume or CV!
Q: Who should enter Silver Quill?
A: If you touch communications in any form, you’re a communicator and we welcome your project.
Q: Who is eligible?
A. The IABC Heritage Region Silver Quill Awards Program is open to IABC members and non-members of the region and beyond.
The IABC Heritage Region covers Connecticut, Delaware, Indiana, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, D.C. and West Virginia.
If you are in the geographic location for Pacific Plains Region, Southern Region or Canada East or West Regions, we encourage you to enter their programs. You are welcome to enter your project in more than one region.
The entrant listed on the entry form must have had direct and primary involvement in implementing the project submitted. Agencies are welcome to enter work done on behalf of their clients, but must include a letter from the client authorizing the submission.
Q: Can I list more than one entrant?
A: List only one entrant and the entrant’s organization on the entry form. This should be the primary person responsible for the campaign or communication. If your entry wins an award, you will have the opportunity to order additional trophies for other team members.
Q: How do I enter?
A: First, go to the award entry platform at iabchrsilverquill.awardstage.com.
- Select "Register" on the menu at the top and create your user name and password.
- Then, go to the dashboard and select "create entry."
- Select your category.
- Add a title for the entry when prompted; then click "create."
- You will then see a page that will allow you to submit the information for your entry. For Divisions 1, 2 and 3, you will upload a PDF of your work plan and up to five work samples. For Division 4, you will answer an online questionnaire and upload up to five work samples.
- Save your draft as you go if you do not finish it in one sitting. When your entry is complete, click the green submit button at the bottom of the screen.
- You will then be taken to a page for credit card payment.
Q: Will I be notified that my entry has been received?
A: Once you submit your entry with payment online, you will receive a confirmation email.
Q: Who evaluates the entries?
A: Evaluators include experienced communicators who are IABC members. They have participated in evaluator training to apply IABC’s Seven Point Scale of Excellence consistently.
Q: How do evaluators score the entries?
A: Each entry is evaluated independently by at two trained evaluators who provide scoring and feedback. Weighting of the work plan and work sample varies depending on the division.
Evaluators look for evidence of careful planning and documentation of an entry’s success through well-defined objectives with measurable results. Quantitative results are highly desired. Evaluators consider how well a program is conceived, created and executed for its intended audiences, as well as how appropriate the strategy and objectives are in relation to the results desired and achieved. All evaluations receive a quality control check.
IABC award entries are scored using the Global Seven-point Scale of Excellence. All marks start at 4, which represents a fully competent approach to communication planning and execution. Work is graded up or down, depending on the content and execution of the project. Marks of 0, 1 or 7 are very rare. Half-points may be awarded.
Q: Can I submit several different entries? How about for the same project?
A: You may submit as many different entries as you wish. The same project can be entered in multiple categories. We highly suggest tailoring your work plan significantly as scoring will vary based on category. Fill in a separate entry form for each entry and pay the full fee for each.
Q: Will I receive feedback?
A: Yes! You will receive an electronic score sheet incorporating the work of both evaluators . It will identify your entry’s strengths and areas for improvement.